Dietitian & Lactation Counselor
- Registered dietitian nutritionist specializing in functional nutrition
- Owner of Matrescence Nutrition
- Certified lactation counselor
- Perinatal fitness trainer
- Supports women in the journey to motherhood, from conception through postpartum, with a holistic approach
- Author of The Big Book of Baby-Led Weaning
Aubrey Phelps is a registered dietitian nutritionist and owner of Matrescence Nutrition. She’s also a perinatal fitness coach, lactation counselor, Kangaroula (a type of doula), and advocate for pregnant people as they make the journey into motherhood.
Specializing in perinatal and pediatric nutrition, Phelps supports people in improving their health, cycles, and fertility so they can have a healthy pregnancy and reduce the risk of complications and preterm delivery. She works with women so they can thrive postpartum as they transition into parenthood. She also helps parents who want to get their little ones off to the right start with nutrition and health, or those struggling with anxiety when their child isn’t growing as expected.
Phelps also consults for a home-based tube-weaning group, Growing Independent Eaters, where she helps families with tube-fed children work toward becoming oral eaters. Additionally, she is a consulting dietitian for a telehealth provider that specializes in women’s health and wellness.
Phelps lives with her husband and children in the Cleveland area. She is a mother of three—soon to be four—children. After experiencing traumatic births, miscarriages, feeding issues, a stay in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), postpartum anxiety, and a vaginal birth after two cesarean sections (VBA2C), Phelps became even more passionate about supporting mothers in their transition into motherhood.
After finishing her undergraduate degree at St. John’s College in Annapolis, Maryland, Phelps went on to complete her dietetic verification program through Kansas State University in conjunction with her master’s degree in food and nutrition at Bowling Green State University.
Phelps completed her supervised practice with Morrison Healthcare at various hospitals and facilities throughout the Washington, D.C., and Baltimore areas, including rotations at Children’s National and the NICU at Georgetown University Medical Center.
Aubrey has also completed training as a prenatal exercise trainer and is a certified lactation counselor through the Academy of Lactation Policy and Practice (ALPP), an integrative and functional nutrition certified practitioner (IFNCP) through the Integrative and Functional Nutrition Academy, and a registered Kangaroula through BirthWorks International.
Affiliations and Publications
- Owner of Matrescence Nutrition
- Growing Independent Eaters
- Cleveland Kangaroula Collective
- Women’s Health Nutrition Academy
- Integrative and Functional Nutrition Academy
- Has been quoted as an expert in various publications and websites, such as HuffPost, Verywell Family, Nutrition4Kids, Healthline, Prevention, and more
- The Big Book of Baby-Led Weaning. Rockridge Press (2021).
Experts are medical professionals who have been engaged by Kopa to provide information and support to our users. Posts from Experts are not medical advice and do not represent the position of Kopa.